Cluub Zarathustra Posted Tue Apr 3 18:36:57 BST 2001 by 'Jonny D'

Hello, does anybody have any info on this show? My friend claims it was shown once on C4, but I thought it was an unaired pilot. If it was shown does anybody have a copy of it, or are there any copies circulating about?

After reading the reviews of it on this here website, it looks absolutely fantastic. And I would love to see it.

Thanks

Jonathan Dolan available to call on [email protected]

Subject: Re: Cluub Zarathustra [ Previous Message ]
Posted By Radiator Head Child on Tue Apr 3 21:29:29 BST 2001:

Someone type in its phonetic spelling quickly. Please.

Posted By 'helpful onlooker' on Tue Apr 3 22:03:58 BST 2001:

>Someone type in its phonetic spelling quickly. Please.

club za-ra-THUS-tra

All 'a's are short, as in 'cat'.

Posted By 'Anonymous' on Wed Apr 4 13:19:11 BST 2001:

http://www.clubi.ie/mooneys/cluubz

Posted By 'Roger Mann' on Wed Apr 4 17:40:13 BST 2001:

The pilot was made for channel 4 in 1996. As far as I know it was never shown.

Unusually for a comedy pilot it suffered from having too big a budget. Where necessity had been the mother etc. in the live show in a North London pub, our whims were suddenly pandered to on a frightening scale. I mean...£200 for an inflatable hat?

Somewhere between that and Attention Scum lies the happy medium.

My used-once video recorder ate up my copy of the tape on Christmas day 1997. Naturally the machine had to suffer and it sat on my carpet with its guts hanging out for the rest of the holiday.

In retrospect though, maybe it was for the best.

Posted By 'Jonny D' on Thu Apr 5 18:17:31 BST 2001:

I thought it sounded a nifty idea for a show though, and given the money I'D spend 200 quid on an inflatable hat ;-)

I checked out the Club Z profile on this website, I just loved the look for the opera singer, a show that had an audience participation song and more contemporary tales that had the Edgar Allan Poe twist (a tale I have related to my friends, because I need to sponge off of other people popularity and ideas).

Ah well, maybe I'll never see it (although if anyone does want to swap it for a copy of Chris Morris fooling then being discovered by Kilroy) At least I'll get to see the League in Manchester next month.

Thank you all for replying, I'll keep an eye out here just in case, I'm still interested in the show.

Cheersy

Jon Dolan....who can be spoken to at [email protected]

Posted By Richard Herring on Mon Apr 9 16:35:50 BST 2001:

C'mon Roger, 200 pounds is hardly massive budget. Not compared to most comedy shows. I'm sre F&S's hats cost more then £200 and they don't even inflate!
And didn't you have to describe the stuff you couldn't afford to do over the credits cos there wasn't enough money to complete.
For what it's worth I thought the Cluub Z pilot was brilliant and it's ridiculous that it wasn't made into a series.
But there is no justice in the world of comedy.

Posted By 'Roger Mann' on Mon Apr 9 18:04:22 BST 2001:

>C'mon Roger, 200 pounds is hardly massive budget.

Yes, I probably could have found a better example of profligacy - how about that big circular screen, that cost £280!

>For what it's worth I thought the Cluub Z pilot was brilliant and it's ridiculous that it wasn't made into a series.

It had its moments certainly and I hope I didn't sound too dismissive. It's just not how I imagined it. I felt like something on the Enterprise in those stupid costumes - next generation obviously

>But there is no justice in the world of comedy.

Or indeed in any other world Dicky mate. That's why I have become one with Quake 3 Arena. Soon I hope to become absorbed by the space map and live among Sarge and Xaero as their equal. I'm not saying it absolutely WILL happen.

Posted By 'Paul Doddroyce' on Mon Apr 9 20:07:29 BST 2001:

Roger
ring me if you'd like to meet for 'hot lunch' tomorrow
I am going to cirencester by 'car'
you know who I am

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Mon Apr 9 22:23:18 BST 2001:

>And didn't you have to describe the stuff you couldn't afford to do over the credits cos there wasn't enough money to complete.

That is a fantastic scene though. Black screen, 'INSERT MORE MONEY' caption and credits over a purportedly candid tape. Something like:

"Okay, why has it stopped?"

"Well we were going to tie up the hat thing by having a big hat come down at the end. But we've overspent so we can't afford it, big hats..."

"Do you think they'll like it?"

"Well, I think they'll probably think it's some kind of, like, cult Vic Reeves type thing so they'll feel they have to 'get it' just to be on the safe side. It's alright - you'll probably get a series of Alan Parker anyway"

"And I'm up for a regular part in The Bill"

"Shall we go?"

"Is that it then?"

"Yeah...no - there the final bit of 'Tatou' coming up after this"

"Oh...couldn't we have had big hats instead of 'Tatou'?"

Posted By 'Anonymous' on Mon Apr 9 22:35:03 BST 2001:

Please can you tell me who that is pictured to the right of Munnery at the back in that promotional photo?

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Tue Apr 10 02:23:35 BST 2001:

Jason Freeman (AKA Steve the barman in the hit Sky One TV series Time Gentlemen Please.)

Posted By Richard Herring on Thu Apr 12 01:03:59 BST 2001:

Hit Sky one series

Couldn't you have done a "The s is silent" joke. Joe

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Thu Apr 12 01:32:25 BST 2001:

There's no pleasing you these days, Hez.

Posted By Richard Herring on Thu Apr 12 11:18:45 BST 2001:

If you had then i could have done the joke about SOTCAA having a "cult" following.
Come on Didi pass the ball.

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Thu Apr 12 12:32:17 BST 2001:

Pull slowly back to reveal we are both no more than puppets reading lines from the same flickering autocue and that SOTCAA is just a pet side-project of Big Jonny Thoday.

'No, my face, you've got my face - in the future...'

Posted By Mogwai on Thu Apr 12 22:41:56 BST 2001:

>Hit Sky one series
>
>Couldn't you have done a "The s is silent" joke. Joe

"The hit ky one series"? I don't get it.

Posted By 'PJ' on Fri Apr 13 00:50:17 BST 2001:

ky - like ky Jelly...

Posted By Mogwai on Fri Apr 13 12:55:40 BST 2001:

>ky - like ky Jelly...

Oh, I see! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! No, wait - I still don't get it.

Posted By 'PJ' on Sat Apr 14 00:06:43 BST 2001:

yeah, but you laughed, so no one will notice

Posted By 'PJ' on Sat Apr 14 00:07:19 BST 2001:

meanwhile, next week on Game On...

Posted By 'Jonny D' on Sun Apr 15 14:08:22 BST 2001:

Does anybody know what happened to Attention Scum being nominated for the golden rose award? I hope to god it wins, just to knock some sence into the BBC morons, and make them realise what arses they already are.......still me suspects they already do, and don't care.

Oh while I'm here, another Munnery question. Does anybody know how many episodes of Either/Or and FuturTV were made???????

A further question still, didn't stewart lee mention that some of the jokes in Attention Scum wouldn't make sence because the openings of them had to be cut? Or words to that affect, if so what was cut out?????????????????/

Right that's my contribution, I'm off now for a lick of the moon and some weak lemon drink.

Ta Ta

Jon Dolan who can be shot at [email protected]

Posted By 'Don Was' on Tue Apr 17 22:06:27 BST 2001:

Isn't it amazing that Munnery actually has had THREE TV shows in the past two years or so? Couldn't they have pooled all the money together to make one good one?

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]