Saturday Night Jack Posted Wed Jan 10 14:35:04 GMT 2001 by Rob S

New article up in the comment section.

Subject: Re: Saturday Night Jack [ Previous Message ]
Posted By TJ on Wed Jan 10 15:04:46 GMT 2001:

Well, what can I add? The article says everything that I feel about the series. My only regret is that I didn't notice it until it was pointed out to me by some kind rednamed individual...

Posted By 'craig' on Wed Jan 10 15:10:00 GMT 2001:

I loved "Absolutely". I loved JD presenting "Just For Laughs" in 198?, I loved Hunter & Docherty on Saturday Live. I listen to Saturday Night Jack and I love it. So, yes, I broadly agree with the article.

But... are you seriously getting annoyed with a journalist for saying JD is best known for The Jack Docherty Show ?

Because he is. You say, "not to comedy fans"... "only to journalists" as if there were only those two types in existence. But to many people... who are neither of the above... Jack Docherty is best known as the bloke off of The Jack Docherty Show. I'm afraid that's just true.

It may be an injustice that someone that talented should be best known as such... but it doesn't make it any less true.

Try it, do a straw poll. Stand in the street with a photograph of Jack Docherty and ask passers by if they know who he is. Most of the people you meet won't be journalists or avowed comedy fans. Most of them won't know JD. Of those that do, the majority will know him from his Channel 5 stint.

Which is a shame. But no less true for that.

Posted By Justin on Wed Jan 10 15:17:03 GMT 2001:

Yes, but for journos to make a sweeping judgement on someone's entire career based on a chat show is rather unfair. (See also Danny Baker.) If C4 had been opportunistic (let's face it, it usually fucking is), they might have seen fit to re-run Absolutely in 1997, when JD's C5 stint started. Or even mr don and mr george.

Roland White's review used The Jack Docherty Show as a springboard for his views on Saturday Night Jack, and did not properly take into account any of his other work. (Including Radio Active - Docherty and Hunter only wrote additional material for that.)

Excellent piece, by the way, SOTCAA.

Posted By Justin on Wed Jan 10 15:22:08 GMT 2001:

Oh, and nice front page too!

Posted By 'craig' on Wed Jan 10 15:25:38 GMT 2001:

I'm not about to get into a huge debate on this. My main point was that JD *is* best known for The JD Show. Understandably.

But, it seems to me that The Corpses are often slagging people off without taking in to account *their* full cv.

If we wanted to wear blinkers it would be easy to make a case that JD was a lazy media whore based on his C5 show (he evidently gave up at one point), The Strangerers and him presenting whatever film awards on Sky. This would be a shame as much of his other work shows him to be a huge talent.

Which only shows how fallible people are.

Posted By 'Stuart O' on Wed Jan 10 15:28:58 GMT 2001:

Reading between the lines, it seems probable that the *reviewer* only knows Jack Docherty from C5, thus sinking him to the lowest common denominator of his readership. A review is worthless unless the writer knows more about the subject than his or her readership.

Posted By Mike4SOTCAA on Thu Jan 11 15:13:22 GMT 2001:

Well look at the 'Absolutely' article in Comment then, you silly man.

Posted By 'Stuart O' on Thu Jan 11 15:18:58 GMT 2001:

I wasn't referring to yourself, Mike. At least I don't think I was. I think I need a lie down.

Asbolutely was great, and I am going to listen to SNJ this week in the hope it is as good. Hooray for good things.

Posted By 'Anonymous' on Thu Jan 11 20:50:06 GMT 2001:

"likeable DJs like [...] Steve Wright"

What?! This completely negates any point you have made, are making, or will make in the future.

Unless you were being sarcastic...

Posted By 'Peter O' on Thu Jan 11 22:46:46 GMT 2001:

Maybe the endangered species aren't endangered at all... they're just hiding.

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Thu Jan 11 23:39:20 GMT 2001:

Hello Peter. I wondered when you'd be back...

Posted By 'Jim' on Fri Jan 12 08:33:21 GMT 2001:

Whilst you are all praising Jack and all his splendid works (including his wonderful radio show), just remember that he was also responsible for "The Creatives".

Can't get it right all the time.

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]