Derek and Clive surge Posted Mon Dec 18 22:45:01 GMT 2000 by Joe4SOTCAA

I bought all three Derek & Clive CDs earlier (as a Christmas present for a deserving person) and the guy in the shop informed me that sales of the CDs had increased since Dudley Moore's illness had been announced (or more likely since the recent TV documentary).

Brought a smile to my eyes, that.

Subject: Re: Derek and Clive surge [ Previous Message ]
Posted By TJ on Mon Dec 18 22:56:44 GMT 2000:

Anyone know what's happened to the DVD of "Get The Horn"?

Posted By 'NJK' on Tue Dec 19 13:11:27 GMT 2000:

Apparently, it's available:-

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000059275

Posted By Mike4SOTCAA on Tue Dec 19 15:24:04 GMT 2000:

I've seen the DVD in shops. No extras and no nonsense. And yet another colour scheme.

By the way, good article in today's Independent chronicling the Victor Lewis Smith/BBC rivalry over the 'Dud's last performance' rumours.

Posted By TJ on Tue Dec 19 15:31:18 GMT 2000:

>By the way, good article in today's Independent chronicling the Victor Lewis Smith/BBC rivalry over the 'Dud's last performance' rumours.

Mike, is there an online version of this?

Posted By Mike4SOTCAA on Tue Dec 19 15:32:50 GMT 2000:

Also, I'm told the (very ugly) re-releases of Come Again and Ad Nauseam have been re-mixed so the stereo separation is less extreme. And the swearing has been asterixed on the back covers.

Posted By TJ on Tue Dec 19 15:52:31 GMT 2000:

>Also, I'm told the (very ugly) re-releases of Come Again and Ad Nauseam have been re-mixed so the stereo separation is less extreme. And the swearing has been asterixed on the back covers.

Eeuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh, they're grotesque, aren't they?

Why does every comedy album released nowadays have to have its cover miniaturised to fit a grotesquely bland generic arrangement that pretty much says "hey, this is comedy you idiots" in big letters for the benefit of those too stupid to realise that Spike Milligan is not a member of 911?

Posted By 'Jake Thingy' on Tue Dec 19 19:11:50 GMT 2000:

>
>>By the way, good article in today's Independent chronicling the Victor Lewis Smith/BBC rivalry over the 'Dud's last performance' rumours.

Here we go:
>

news | UK | Media
The strange saga of Dudley and the BBC

A press release sparked rumours of Dudley Moore's impending death. It put Moore in a fury and led to journalists attacking each other in print. Who was to blame?

By David Lister

19 December 2000

The in-tray of the BBC director-general Greg Dyke has recently contained an intriguing letter. It concerns the profile by the BBC1 Omnibus programme of Dudley Moore, the comedian and musician, now suffering from a degenerative illness in Los Angeles. The letter is not from one of the many viewers who were touched by the programme. It is from Moore's carer, Brian Dallow, and is a blistering attack on the BBC for its handling of the programme and for saying it was Moore's "last interview". Neither Moore not his agent ever said it was his last interview � he could, with luck, live for several years; what on earth did the BBC think it was playing at?

Curious. And it gets more so. The Friday after the show was broadcast, the London Evening Standard carried a furious letter from the joint head of the independent company that produced the programme for Omnibus. The letter from Dr Paul Sparks, production executive at Associated-Rediffusion, blasted a journalist on The Sunday Times, the arts editor Richard Brooks, for running a story that this was Moore's last interview.

Brooks, like most journalists who had received a press release from the BBC about the programme, was amazed to read the letter. The BBC had sent out a press booklet saying it was the final interview.

The hapless Brooks woke up the next morning to find himself under attack in yet another paper, this time The Mirror. He was the subject of a vitriolic piece by Mirror columnist and London Evening Standard TV reviewer, Victor Lewis-Smith. Though the letter to the Evening Standard from Dr Sparks had made no mention of Lewis-Smith, it is Lewis-Smith who founded Associated-Rediffusion, a jokey title taken from the names of two famous but now defunct TV companies. Lewis-Smith is the man behind the Omnibus programme on Dudley Moore. Dr Sparks and Lewis-Smith evidently think alike. They even write alike. Sparks's letter to the Standard ended with the following words: "I am left in no doubt as to why Dudley has preferred to live in the US for so many years."

Lewis-Smith's column in The Mirror, poignantly headlined "Brave Dud: A Victim of a Lying Game", ended with the words: "Frankly, the scurrilous and unethical behaviour of sections of the British press has left me in no doubt as to why Dudley has chosen to live in the US for so many years."

Before reaching that sad conclusion, Lewis-Smith wrote: "The crass insensitivity of some journalists is equalled only by their laziness. For example, I often get calls from fellow hacks asking me for my 'opinion' on some burning issue of the day (aka 'please write my column for me'). Journalists feeding on journalists can only lead to literary BSE...

"Some ten days ago, shortly before my BBC1 Omnibus programme about Dudley Moore was aired, I got... a call from Richard Brooks, Arts Editor at The Sunday Times, and his lofty message asked me to call him back but didn't say why. Leaving enigmatic messages is an old journalistic trick (because curiosity invariably triumphs over experience), so out of courtesy I returned his call. I was immediately given the third degree about Dudley. Not about his music � which is surely what an Arts Editor ought to be interested in � but about his state of health.

"When he realised that I wasn't going to tell him anything, he complained ruefully that 'journalists are the hardest people to deal with'. 'Yes,' I replied, 'they are, aren't they?' and the phone went down."

Brooks remembers the conversation rather differently. "There was no third degree. We never mentioned Moore's state of health. He said he wouldn't talk about Dudley Moore. I did say 'journalists are awkward, aren't they' and the conversation ended."

In his Mirror piece, Lewis-Smith went on: "But Mr Brooks hadn't seen the programme and didn't have the facts, so what did he do? He made them up. He published a story about Dudley last Sunday which claimed, with no foundation in fact, that 'it is thought he may only have weeks to live'. This untrue but sensational 'Dudley Moore Close To Death' story was picked up by other newspapers and was soon being repeated by the US media, who naively believed The Sunday Times to be an unimpeachable source of truth (as for centuries, it was).

"And the upshot? As if Dudley doesn't have enough difficulties in his life, he's spent all week fielding calls from tearful family and friends who have been phoning to make preparations for his imminent funeral. There's an old saying that 'a lie will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on' and usually it's impossible to discover precisely where a false rumour begins.

"But on this occasio

Posted By 'Mona Lisa' on Tue Dec 19 19:19:08 GMT 2000:

I didn't realise Ad Nauseum had been done as well. Thanks for that.
Is the elusive "FILMS" sketch on Come Again?

Posted By 'boki' on Tue Jan 2 20:01:46 GMT 2001:

>I bought all three Derek & Clive CDs earlier (as a Christmas present for a deserving person) and the guy in the shop informed me that sales of the CDs had increased since Dudley Moore's illness had been announced (or more likely since the recent TV documentary).

You should've seen the look on the sales assistant's face in Andy's Records when I bought '...Come Again' last year. As soon as he caught the slightest glimpse of the track titles on the back, he slammed it into the bag as if he'd been caught with bestial fistfucking vids or something and didn't say a word to me despite my cheery "Thank you" and "Goodbye!". He looked like an under-maintained Thom Yorke. Probably kills people for food.

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Tue Jan 2 23:25:03 GMT 2001:

I played choice sections of 'Come Again' earlier (for an equally deserving person who'd never heard any Derek & Clive before). 'My Mum Song' made her face dance all over the place. A mixture of bemusement, amazement and delight.

It's nice to share.

Posted By Steven on Tue Jan 2 23:49:12 GMT 2001:

I must say when I first heard 'My Mum Song', I hadn't laughed so much in fucking years, I was literally on the floor in getting even more into hysterics as the song progresses, my sides were killing, it's amazing that such humour can come from a drunkard song about someone getting wanked off by their Mum.

Posted By 'Green Isaac' on Wed Jan 3 00:55:33 GMT 2001:

>Anyone know what's happened to the DVD of "Get The Horn"?

I have purchased that very DVD this very day and it is somewhat disapointing, as has been stated no extras, no subtitles, no other soundtracks. The saddest Menu I've ever seen, just a pic of them with the words 'Play'. I do hope other classic comedy gets a better treatment.

Universal 2/10 Could do better.

I am sure Dudley entering the public eye again has just remided us how good those two were when they were togehter boosting D&C sales and not for any morbid reason. I do hope that's not what prompted this DVD release, though it does look rather rushed.

Posted By Mogwai on Wed Jan 3 01:03:16 GMT 2001:

Anyone done any "hilarious" prank calls to Victor Lewis-Smith on the subject of Dudley Moore's illness yet?

Posted By 'Nunuf Urbuznuz' on Wed Jan 3 12:23:52 GMT 2001:

No I'm afraid the 11ocs is off air.

Posted By 'Clem the Gem' on Wed Jan 3 13:26:28 GMT 2001:

"Without that we wouldn't have a way to die, would we? Fucking good of him! Not to torment us with being eternally young and being able to fuck everyone. No! He gave us this great gift of fucking progressive supranuclear palsy, 's very kind. I wouldn't have thought of that if I'd been creating the universe, would you? Bung in PSP? No, I'd have left that out."

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]