Don't fear the Corpses Posted Sat Aug 19 00:11:43 BST 2000 by Al

For anyone who thinks the Corpses are too cynical or negative about comedy check out the article on 'Edinburgh or Bust' in the COMMENT section and then watch the frickin' thing. I saw it this evening and Julia Morris is *the* worst stand up I have ever seen. She makes Jenny Eclair look like Dorothy Parker. Paul Wagner - fucking terrible. The whole show is horrendously stapled together with the sort of fast-edit montages that looked crap on Def II ten years ago. Any interviews with interesting people (e.g. Bill Bailey) are kept to an absolute minimum. A dreadful, dreadful waste of time and money.

(BTW 'Frontal' has just started, with the words 'Oy Oy', a 'joke' about bypass protestors, a man in a dress, and the promise of interviews with 'Big Brother' cast offs. Channel 4 must be crushed - do you hear me - CRUSHED!)

Subject: Re: Don't fear the Corpses [ Previous Message ]
Posted By PJ on Sat Aug 19 00:34:32 BST 2000:

You forgot to mention how crap Brendan Burn is. But hey, at least he knows how to say the word fuck. A lot.

Posted By Al on Sat Aug 19 12:26:33 BST 2000:

God yes. He was extremely poor. Brendan, to quote Michelle Pfeiffer in 'Scarface': Why do you have to say "fuck" all the time?'

Posted By Beccy on Wed Aug 23 06:04:58 BST 2000:

Hate to disagree, but I really like Julia Morris. Live standup that is recorded for TV ALWAYS looks appalling. It's performed for a live audience and the only point of recording it is for those who actually saw it to be reminded of it as they will recall the reality of the live show. I don't think I have ever seen a standup comedian on TV that has made me even almost laugh.
It's the same with recordings of plays in the theatre - just records, nothing more. It is impossible to judge a comedian by a crudely recorded clip on TV.
Julia gets fantastic ausdience response during her performance and I don't beleive ALL of them can be wrong. I find her act extremely appealing.

Posted By Al on Wed Aug 23 22:53:05 BST 2000:

I'm sorry, but the excerpts from her act were totally awful. I can't beleive any amount of atmosphere or presence could have made material like "I went into Debenhams - Whoops! Fashion alert!" amusing in any way, shape or form. Unless the clips shown were shocking parodic inserts into a devastatingly witty routine then she *must* be terrible. Perhaps it is all a matter of personal taste but I loathe this trite sub-Kathy Lette (who, let's face it is bad enough) bollocks. Her style seemed the worst kind of 'like me, like me' posturing also. (Although at least she wasn't just plain offensive like that Brendan Burn bloke.)

Posted By Al on Wed Aug 23 23:02:21 BST 2000:

... and another thing. I don't agree that good stand up doesn't transfer on to video/TV/records. Plenty of stand ups have made superb recordings. Bill Hicks, Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, the 'Audience With's both Billy Connolly and Victoria Wood are fantastic. The Stephen Wright stand up LP 'I Have a Pony' is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. All of these artists are funny in recorded form because they have funny material.
From your comments on an earlier thread I presume you have met Ms Morris and she is a lovely person. She probably is - I'm not judging her personally. But I don't think it's unreasonable to make a judgement about how funny someone is from excerpts of their comic material.

Posted By Rob S on Wed Aug 23 23:12:54 BST 2000:

>From your comments on an earlier thread I presume you have met Ms Morris and she is a lovely person. She probably is - I'm not judging her personally.

I think it's only fair to point out that Beccy is working at the Gilded Balloon this year... mind you, you could probably guess that!

Posted By Beccy on Thu Aug 24 05:32:43 BST 2000:

I take accept your comments Al, but something like An Audience with Victoria Wood is actually filmed in a TV studio with the intention of being broadcast in its entirety to the masses which is not quite the same as a single camera perched precariously on a ledge in a corner of a damp cave.
People coming out of the show seem to really enjoy her - I've seen it many times and still don't get tired of the majority of it.
Not that we care about critics of course, but she got a 5 star review in the Metro today...
Still, each to their own, otherwise explain the Perrier nominations to me!!?
Oh Rob - Paul says hello.

Posted By Jon on Thu Aug 24 08:42:43 BST 2000:

Al is just bitter.

Posted By Ewar Woowar on Thu Aug 24 10:42:08 BST 2000:

Jon is just shandy.

Posted By Ailie on Thu Aug 24 10:47:01 BST 2000:

*snigger*

Posted By Jon on Thu Aug 24 11:15:04 BST 2000:

kinder surprise is just chocolate.

Posted By Al on Thu Aug 24 15:17:51 BST 2000:

>Al is just bitter.

Damn straight! I'm mad as hell etc. etc.

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Sat Aug 26 14:19:28 BST 2000:

Shame Brendan Burns is so shit. He really likes SOTCAA apparently.

Posted By 'Brendan Burns' on Sat Aug 26 15:27:18 BST 2000:

A website about corpses eh? fucking hell, i love shagging fucking corpses. In front of a fucking live audience in my fringe fucking show - that'll teach the cunts that come and see me - you'll get no fucking around from Brendan, you wankers!

Posted By Bean Is A Carrot on Wed Aug 30 13:26:52 BST 2000:

I saw Julia Morris in Edinburgh. She was better than I thought she'd be, but not brilliant. However she was far, far better than the blonde, American, bimbo she was on the same bill as who did a series of jokes about how much she likes to suck men off. PUUURRLLLEEAAASSSEEEE!!!!

And Brendan Burns came across as extremely crass and offensive on that show, he swore too much and "guess what you're the star of my next 10 wanks" is not a classy line.

Oh dear, I sound a bit like Mary Whitehouse here. What I mean is that swearing and sex talk is fine, as long as it's FUNNY and not offensive.

Posted By Mr Griffiths on Wed Aug 30 13:33:54 BST 2000:

The misogynistic wank-starring line has been nicked from Bernard Manning. Check out any of his live tapes (they're all the same)

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]