The end of this week's Time Gentlemen Please... Posted Mon Dec 18 00:59:37 GMT 2000 by 'paul twist'

...was shockingly similar to a sketch I wrote in a sitcom writing workshop in college about 4 years ago. It was set in a doctor's surgery and involved a guy who was pretty much like Terry on this episode (i.e. stuck things up his bottom for sexual gratification), and he did indeed have a squeaky toy "up there" which squeaked as he moved.

Of course, there's no way Richard Herring could have ripped this off from me, as only about 10 people ever heard/read the script, though I suppose he could've broke into my house, sifted through my files and found the original script - and I doubt that happened - but I was just amused by the similarity.

Cue "well, there's nothing much else to be amused by in TGP" comment by some wag.

Subject: Re: The end of this week's Time Gentlemen Please... [ Previous Message ]
Posted By Steven on Mon Dec 18 14:58:18 GMT 2000:

A similar thing has happened to me a few times, and I barely write any comedy stuff, just a few sketches every few weeks out of boredom. Most of my sketch ideas I thought up sometime between when I was 9 or 10 years old, and I suddenly remember them and write them down. I remember thinking up one about satirising cheap lazily written cartoons, then years later I see Lee and Herring do the Organ Gang. Though I didn't like the Organ Gang and thought my original similar idea had a much better set-up. Being a satire on the lazy plots, rather than just saying, 'look..haha, there's hardly any animation, and there's cheesy trumpet music and bad puns!' Though I admit I made all the characters' names have the same letter for their first name and surname, a bit like Lilly Liver, Henry Heart, Barry Bladder and Beril Brain etc, but that's to be expected.

Also, one of the first sketches I ever wrote, which featured a rather obvious joke about that scene in Spartacus. I then saw some unfunny man on Lammar's Attacks show who did a similar joke, which wasn't funny at all, though Mark Lammar laughed, which is probably more bad than good. And I'm hoping it was the fact he did it with absolutely no build up, wheras I had written a really giant pre-amble towards the joke itself, which is what makes it funny in my opinion.

I also wrote one when shortly before Fist of Fun came on the air, and it featured a rebellious public school boy rebelling against the system in a most pathetic way. The demenor was incredibly similar to Mr. Kennedy's in the Lee and Herring 'The School' sketches, another example of Lee and Herring doing this, they're good at it though.

I guess lots of peoples early sketches are rather obvious ideas and other people are going to come up with similar ones, or something like that.

Subject: Re: The end of this week's Time Gentlemen Please... [ Previous Message ]
Posted By 'paul twist' on Mon Dec 18 19:23:16 GMT 2000:

Steven - I agree that the squeaky-toy-up-arse idea is probably a simple one. The version I wrote was written in a rush in about 10 minutes - I was supposed to be working together with someone I sat with, but as he was (a) hopelessly crap at writing and (b) not funny, I asked if I could write it alone. Him, not being arsed, agreed. When he read it out he told the rest of the class it was about "a Mr Bean type character", at which point I vehemenently argued with him, which probably gave away the fact he had little creative input... but I digress.

I guess there really are only 7 (I think it's 7? That is the accepted number, right?) jokes in the world after all...

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Mon Dec 18 21:02:55 GMT 2000:

ALEXEI SAYLE:
There are in fact only seven jokes in all...WAAAARRRKKK (throws himself backwards off the chair. Gets up again) That was one of them. And the other six are about jelly!

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Mon Dec 18 21:05:25 GMT 2000:

I like that. Makes me think.

Posted By Steven on Mon Dec 18 21:13:24 GMT 2000:

What are these 7 jokes then? Are they really derogatory and general things like 'A surreal premise, resulting in humour' or something? I fail to see how you can catogorise so many different jokes into just 7 threads.

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Mon Dec 18 21:17:04 GMT 2000:

Jelly wobbling
Jelly walking into bar
Irish Jelly
Jelly sleeping with milkman
Jelly impersonations
Camp Jelly
Falling off of chair

Posted By Joe4SOTCAA on Mon Dec 18 21:20:00 GMT 2000:

>Jelly wobbling
>Jelly walking into bar
>Irish Jelly
>Jelly sleeping with milkman
>Jelly impersonations
>Camp Jelly
>Falling off of chair

Nice one!

Posted By 'kinder surprise' on Mon Dec 18 22:49:38 GMT 2000:

Didn't Bill Hicks start around your age RHC?

Posted By 'PJ' on Tue Dec 19 00:15:26 GMT 2000:

Do you lke drugs RHC? No, really like them? What about cigerettes? Go on, try them. You never know...

Posted By 'kinder surprise' on Tue Dec 19 00:19:32 GMT 2000:

yeah, as long as you don't go the path of sucking Satan's cock.

btw he may be disguised as a guitar playing comedian.

Posted By Steven on Tue Dec 19 00:38:38 GMT 2000:

Eric Idle is not Satan, though, he is definitely evil.

Posted By subbes on Tue Dec 19 04:40:55 GMT 2000:

>ALEXEI SAYLE:
>There are in fact only seven jokes in all...

Nonsense. Five Hardy Jokes.

No, not about Laurel and, you fool.

Posted By TJ on Tue Dec 19 10:08:51 GMT 2000:

What happened to the best joke of all time - TV's Hilarious Jelly Falling Through The Bar?

Posted By 'PJ' on Tue Dec 19 13:29:29 GMT 2000:

"don't mention the jelly - i did once, but i think i got away with it... lokk, i'll do the funny wobble... of course she'll love it, she's german..."

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Tue Dec 19 15:22:49 GMT 2000:

>What happened to the best joke of all time - TV's Hilarious Jelly Falling Through The Bar?

Joke. Joke. Joke. The operative word.
Who is Bill Hicks?

Posted By 'Stocky' on Tue Dec 19 15:26:05 GMT 2000:

>Who is Bill Hicks?

Please God let this be sarcasm.

Posted By 'Baby Coelacanth' on Tue Dec 19 15:27:31 GMT 2000:

>Who is Bill Hicks?

????

Really?

Wow. You have a treat in store for you RHC. Go out immediately to HMV or wherever you get your CDs from and pick up Bill Hicks's amazing comedy albums "Rant in E Minor", "Arizona Bay", "Revelations" and "Dangerous".

I don't like much stand-up, but Bill Hicks is the best there ever was. You'll love him.

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Tue Dec 19 15:40:17 GMT 2000:

>Wow. You have a treat in store for you RHC. Go out immediately to HMV or wherever you get your CDs from and pick up Bill Hicks's amazing comedy albums "Rant in E Minor", "Arizona Bay", "Revelations" and "Dangerous".

Oh as if small town England stocks comedy CDs, anyone know of a good email site where I can order them?

Anyone?

Posted By 'kinder surprise' on Tue Dec 19 15:45:14 GMT 2000:

They're an 18 certificate though RHC, lot's of colourful language.

Posted By 'Stocky' on Tue Dec 19 15:46:21 GMT 2000:

>
>Oh as if small town England stocks comedy CDs, anyone know of a good email site where I can order them?
>
>Anyone?

Video at:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004CPBK/qid%3D976541612/sr%3D1-2/202-7381953-9616669

Posted By subbes on Tue Dec 19 17:55:45 GMT 2000:

Oh, Amazon, how we love thee.

(they sent me free stuff once)

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Tue Dec 19 18:05:38 GMT 2000:

>Oh, Amazon, how we love thee.
>(they sent me free stuff once)

Did you use someone else's credit card?
That's always a financially sound way to spend...

Posted By 'PJ' on Tue Dec 19 18:06:23 GMT 2000:

Get the CDs rather than the videos RHC - they don't have age ratings, see?

Posted By subbes on Tue Dec 19 18:08:09 GMT 2000:

>Did you use someone else's credit card?
>That's always a financially sound way to spend...

No, I have my own income and everything.

They sent me the free stuff because i was a "valued customer" who hadn't bought anything for a while (I was BROKE, the fools) and they were trying to woo me back.

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Tue Dec 19 21:14:43 GMT 2000:

>No, I have my own income and everything.

well done, you may have a prize from the bargin bucket...

>They sent me the free stuff because i was a "valued customer" who hadn't bought anything for a while (I was BROKE, the fools) and they were trying to woo me back.

fools indeede

Posted By 'paul twist' on Wed Dec 20 00:04:39 GMT 2000:

>Oh, Amazon, how we love thee.
>
>
>
>
>
>(they sent me free stuff once)

They sent me free stuff, too. By mistake. And in place of the item I actually ordered. Which I am still waiting for...

They're not getting their accidental mailing back though (an Ally McBeal book, fact fans). Not that I want it - I intend to give it away to someone I know - but because if they are slack enough to send me stuff I haven't ordered then they don't deserve to get it back.

And RHC - see, the word "indeed" aint so bad!

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Wed Dec 20 18:06:04 GMT 2000:

>And RHC - see, the word "indeed" aint so bad!

That's what you think...

EVEILE CLOWNE IFDENTES RULWE INDEEEEEDE

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]