BBC Talent Posted Wed Nov 22 09:09:55 GMT 2000 by Justin

Anyone subject themselves to this on Sunday night? The stand-up finalists? The hopeful sitcom writers? Weren't they all terribly, terribly good? Or were they all rubbish? Unfortunately, I couldn't tell, since the BBC editing suite clearly decided that we'd find their decisions more difficult to agree/disagree with if they made all the clips meaningless and out of context.

Still, seeing as they do that with established programmes, that would be consistent, I suppose. A time-wasting three-minute montage of hoary old clips we've seen Christ knows how many times would seem to bear this out. And also, Jamie Theakston and his additional material writer don't realise that HI De Hi was never the greatest sitcom in the world, but it was/is a fuck of a sight funnier than anything they can come up with.

Subject: Re: BBC Talent [ Previous Message ]
Posted By Bean Is A Carrot on Wed Nov 22 09:23:06 GMT 2000:

>Anyone subject themselves to this on Sunday
>Still, seeing as they do that with established programmes, that would be consistent, I suppose. A time-wasting three-minute montage of hoary old clips we've seen Christ knows how many times would seem to bear this out.

Did they show THAT clip from Only Fools and Horses?

Posted By Justin on Wed Nov 22 09:26:24 GMT 2000:

>Did they show THAT clip from Only Fools and Horses?

In fairness, no. VT editor Chris Wadsworth has destroyed it forever. In my dreams.

But all the others you're tired of were there.

Posted By Bean Is A Carrot on Wed Nov 22 09:36:45 GMT 2000:

>
>>Did they show THAT clip from Only Fools and Horses?
>
>In fairness, no. VT editor Chris Wadsworth has destroyed it forever. In my dreams.
>
>But all the others you're tired of were there.

Basil hitting the car with the branch?

M&W doing "Bring Me Sunshine" and/or "There Is Nothing Like A Dame" with the newsreaders?

The silly walks or the parrot sketch?

The giant kitten? No, they'd never do that one...

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Wed Nov 22 17:29:06 GMT 2000:

I like the idea of BBC talent you lot should go up for the comedy writers thing if you hate all that is on.

Posted By 'MM' on Wed Nov 22 17:39:29 GMT 2000:

I think that a couple of forum people looked into doing stuff for BBC Talent, but were put off by small print that seemed to sign away the rights to anything that was submitted to the BBC.

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Wed Nov 22 17:52:46 GMT 2000:

ahhh I see... I never read the small print which is why I now own land in Venezuala and Porta Rico and support several charities involuntarily for the low low low cost of... how much?!!?!?!

Posted By TJ on Wed Nov 22 23:04:16 GMT 2000:

BBC talent is a bloody joke. It is the ultimate embodiment of the pathetic attitude that believes that people should be _allowed_ to work in the media purely because they want to, irrespective of the notion of whether they might actually have any talent or not. And as I have worked in the media, I do know what I'm talking about there. Too many people manage to get a foothold on the basis of networking and having a loud careerist voice, when they have never displayed even the slightest sign of creativity in their lives. None of the results of BBC talent that I have seen/heard about have impressed me in the slightest, and the whole exercise strikes me as nothing more than the Guardian reader's equivalent of TV's That Programme With Jayne MacDonald.

Come on, disagree with me.

Posted By 'PJ' on Thu Nov 23 13:42:43 GMT 2000:

My and my mate had a go at a sitcom, in a kind of joke way that turned really serious after about five minutes. Got a letter from the BBC saying "your script was good, but it had no 20 or 30 somethings sat around in a coffee house dealing with 'issues' and 'relationships'", which the majority of the ten finalists appeard to have. Maybe. Sorry

Posted By 'Joe' on Thu Nov 23 16:21:40 GMT 2000:

Yes, this much is true. Still, I keep a copy in a brown envelope under my bed.
Does peter o'hanrahanrahn still hang around on here? I remember those fun pointless arguments people would have, then peter would come back with a really good reply.
Ah, the good old days....

Posted By Bean Is A Carrot on Thu Nov 23 16:48:03 GMT 2000:

>Yes, this much is true. Still, I keep a copy in a brown envelope under my bed.
>Does peter o'hanrahanrahn still hang around on here? I remember those fun pointless arguments people would have, then peter would come back with a really good reply.
>Ah, the good old days....

It was only last week...

Posted By subbes on Thu Nov 23 18:37:48 GMT 2000:

Peter O is a twit.

Posted By 'Paul B' on Fri Nov 24 09:42:36 GMT 2000:

The Talent thing was a joke, certainly for sitcom writers. Small print meant you lose the right to send your script to anyone else until the competition was over (about 6 months). You'd be better off sending it to the BBC via 'normal' routes; any commisioner worth their salt would jump on a good script regardless of whether it was part of an initiative. Just an exercise in looking like they're Doing Something, when most decent comedy seems to come from independent production companies; and also when most independent companies give more useful feedback and criticism to unsolicited scripts than the BBC.

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Sat Nov 25 10:41:01 GMT 2000:

wow, you guys get well heated up about stuff like money.
I however am carefree, apart from that stupid coursework in my bedroom...

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Sun Nov 26 19:38:34 GMT 2000:

...which I have done now! Woohoo!

Posted By subbes on Mon Nov 27 01:51:52 GMT 2000:

Don't forget to keep a spare copy. Schools have an unfortunate habit of losing copies of coursework, making it necessary to redo the work at the last minute if you wrote it on paper like a Luddite.

Yes, i'm still bitter. well done for telling, though.

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]