10 Years Of... Cousin Matty? Posted Tue Nov 14 10:08:30 GMT 2000 by TJ

As today marks the tenth anniversary of Cousin Matty's arrival on Liverpool Radio City, I was wondering if anyone out there has ANY tapes of his 1990-91 evening show? Mine have long since vanished...

I suppose you're all wanting to know who he was now...

Subject: Re: 10 Years Of... Cousin Matty? [ Previous Message ]
Posted By 'Sam D' on Tue Nov 14 10:15:29 GMT 2000:

But, TJ, who was he?

Posted By TJ on Tue Nov 14 10:42:48 GMT 2000:

>But, TJ, who was he?

Somewhere between Chris Morris and The League Against Tedium, to be honest. Definitely unsual for a local commercial radio station. Spoke in a weird, echo-drenched voice, had jingles involving 1950s soundbites smothered in weird audio effects, played only 'cool music' (anything from Happy Mondays anf The La's to The Lemon Pipers' 'Green Tambourine'), frightened people who were brave enough to call in on the phone lines, once transmitted 'live' from "The Magic Roundabout, after I kicked everyone else off". Generally laudable stuff for a local radio station more used to catering for chartheads who reel in confusion on hearing anything that isn't in the 'top ten'. His show genuinely was a local talking point for quite some time. He was fired after becoming a litle TOO rough with abusive callers (typical example: "those who call Cousin Matty wanker, must indulge in wank themselves"), moved to some Chester-based station I couldn't get, and vanished.

I have fond memories of his deliberately limp attempts at making a crank phone call to Coronation Street's Rita Fairclough. Also he had a regular character, Biffo The Cosmic Raver ("worshippin' them speakers, kidda"), before anyone else was doing comedy ravers. Biffo told tall tales culminating in brilliantly awful jokes. Two examples:

Biffo and his mate looking for a new suit. Mate eventually says "that's the one I'd get", and then "a Cyclops come over and twatted 'im".

Biffo goes to hairdressers. Asks for it shaved there, long there, spiky there, permed there etc. Girl says it's impossible. Biffo says "that's how yer done it last time, kidda".

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Wed Nov 15 18:45:52 GMT 2000:

lol, yes but *who* was he?

Posted By 'Anonymous' on Wed Nov 15 21:47:19 GMT 2000:

He was a fucking DJ, like mr worthington just explained. Idiot

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Fri Nov 17 17:53:56 GMT 2000:

>He was a fucking DJ, like mr worthington just explained. Idiot

Touchy

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]