New BBC Pub-Related Sitcom Posted Tue Nov 7 23:45:31 GMT 2000 by 'Jeanette'

The BBC have sent me four copies of an advert to the screening of their new pub-related sitcom (just to make sure I read it, I suppose) 10/12 & 14/1:

"WORLD OF PUB is the new 6-part comedy for BBC2 from established writer TONY ROCHE and stars KEVIN ELDON, PHIL CORNWELL and PETER SERAFINOWICZ. Follow the highs and lows of Barry and Gary who run a not very successful Eastend pub. But their mate, Dodgy Phil (king of the 'Get Rich Quick' scheme), has other ideas for re-building and re-launching the pub to turn it into a money-spinning venture - with disastrous consequences. With special guest appearances from <<wait for it!>> Chas 'n' Dave and Germaine Greer."

Noting the vaguely Lee & Herring style description (no 'Ians', though) and the inclusion of the actor Kevin Eldon, this looks like it might aim to be a cross between TGP & Only Fools & Horses. I'm sure Messers Herring & Murray must be quaking in their boots at this stiff competition!

Look out for the classic hilarious moment when Courage Best Gertcha Boys Chas 'n' Dave fall through the bar...

Subject: Re: New BBC Pub-Related Sitcom [ Previous Message ]
Posted By george on Wed Nov 8 00:03:56 GMT 2000:

Is Germaine Greer playing the Aussie barmaid in it?

Posted By 'Anonymous' on Wed Nov 8 08:38:57 GMT 2000:

This was on the radio. Therefore the TV version will be worse. (This is probably true since the radio version was extremely surreal)

Posted By Bean Is A Carrot on Wed Nov 8 09:14:13 GMT 2000:

>Is Germaine Greer playing the Aussie barmaid in it?
>
At least she'd get the accent right!

Posted By sheep on Wed Nov 8 09:37:01 GMT 2000:

The radio version of World of Pub was very good, delightfully surreal. The 1st series of 15 minute shows worked best though - the plots seemed a bit stretched out in it's 2nd series of 30 minutes each.

The thing is, it relied on cutaways from the action for the surreal humour, which (I believe) is rare on the radio, and from thence the humour arose. But cutaways are three a penny on TV sitcoms these days, surely? I wonder if the format will change?

Still quite pleased though, if only so I can say how much better it was on the radio and continue looking smug with my Radio 4 face.

Posted By 'Radiator Head Child' on Thu Nov 9 21:18:30 GMT 2000:

sheep is that like a clown face (shudder)
I don't believe the BBC would bother with this, unless they can't afford to buy TGP?
Mind you Peter S and Kevin E are favourites of mine so I will watch out with a dubious eye

Posted By 'EVIL GAS BOTTLE' on Thu Nov 9 22:36:15 GMT 2000:

>sheep is that like a clown face (shudder)CLOWNE FACE!

Posted By 'Jon' on Fri Nov 10 09:13:14 GMT 2000:

When are Clown and Gas Bottle getting their own sitcom?

Posted By 'Anonymous' on Fri Nov 10 11:11:59 GMT 2000:

They already have - TGP

Posted By 'boki' on Sat Nov 11 11:41:49 GMT 2000:

Is it the evil gas bottle doing Phil Daniels' stunts, then?

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]