Forty years of BBC TV Centre, right? Posted Wed Sep 6 02:07:45 BST 2000 by Unruly Butler

A celebration night, eh?

I do hope we get a chance to see Del Boy fall through Basil Fawlty's emu, as it attacks Lulu the elephant, rollerskating under that bus.

Don't tell 'em, Pike.

Honestly. What next? "A new theme night celebrating the historic nine months that GLR has been relocated to Bush House..."

Unless they're going to do a show on BBC TV Centre's architecture, or the ethos behind its construction, or its symbolism or something, then...

IT'S JUST A BLOODY BUILDING.

Subject: Re: Forty years of BBC TV Centre, right? [ Previous Message ]
Posted By Jon on Wed Sep 6 10:34:13 BST 2000:

What's wrong with a little celebration?

Posted By Steve Berry on Wed Sep 6 13:36:12 BST 2000:

It's in the shape of a question mark, you know. With Centre House the dot on the other side of Wood Lane.

Cheerio

Steve

Posted By PJ on Wed Sep 6 14:41:27 BST 2000:

>What's wrong with a little celebration?

When it;s the BBC - everything. Instead of saying how good they were, perhaps they should make more good program that we haven't actually seen a hundred times before. Still falling through a abr though. That's pretty funny in anyone's book, isn' it?

Posted By PJ on Wed Sep 6 14:42:43 BST 2000:

Of course that's falling through a bar. If i knew what an abr was, i'm sure falling through that would be relatively amusing also.

Posted By Jon on Wed Sep 6 16:30:38 BST 2000:

Perhaps falling through an abbatoir would be amusing, but in a harrowing, "jam" kinda way...

Posted By PJ on Wed Sep 6 19:54:34 BST 2000:

Surely it would have to be a wood chipper? Imagine the confused look on Trigger's face as the machine spewed chunks of Del Boy all over him. Classic comedy indeed.

Posted By george on Wed Sep 6 20:46:47 BST 2000:

I like the fact that the trailer have ol' man Parkinson whittering on about all the great shows and events that took place at TV Centre - whilst showing a clip of a Saturn rocket blasting off en route to the moon.

Didn't they launch those rockets in Florida? - or has something sinister been going on in West London?

Anyway, I'll know when it's due to be scheduled, as they'll probaly be a lavish spread on the cover and inside the Radio Times, a video offer (now you can watch Del Boy fall frame by frame as often as you want!), the *extended* editorial (I was told to say that the BBC are brilliant in 400 words), Alison (vacancy-apply within skull) Graham gushing like a waterfall whilst really copying and pasting some BBC PR, while those of us who just want some decent television and radio suffer.

Subject: What about Pebble Mill !! [ Previous Message ]
Posted By Harry Potter on Wed Sep 6 21:49:36 BST 2000:

>A celebration night, eh?
>
>I do hope we get a chance to see Del Boy fall through Basil Fawlty's emu, as it attacks Lulu the elephant, rollerskating under that bus.
>
>Don't tell 'em, Pike.
>
>Honestly. What next? "A new theme night celebrating the historic nine months that GLR has been relocated to Bush House..."
>
>Unless they're going to do a show on BBC TV Centre's architecture, or the ethos behind its construction, or its symbolism or something, then...
>
>IT'S JUST A BLOODY BUILDING.
>
How longs Pebble Mill been going?

I know it's BBC Radio WM's 30th birthday in a couple of months(Before anybody points out,yes I know it was Radio Birmingham originally!)!!

Posted By subbes on Wed Sep 6 22:19:15 BST 2000:

Maybe if Del Boy were dyslexic, they could have made him fall through a bra.

Posted By Jo_ham on Thu Sep 7 15:53:20 BST 2000:

hmmm

Posted By subbes on Thu Sep 7 23:54:49 BST 2000:

*hides face*

oh no! my first stolen joke, and the owner shows up. doh.

Posted By LFB on Fri Sep 8 15:41:28 BST 2000:

> Surely it would have to be a wood chipper? > Imagine the confused look on Trigger's
> face as the machine spewed chunks of Del
> Boy all over him. Classic comedy indeed.

Does this remind anyone else of Fargo?

Posted By Jo_ham on Fri Sep 8 17:33:20 BST 2000:

yep.

except it wasn't exactly a comedy moment in fargo... :O)

Posted By LFB on Fri Sep 8 17:42:41 BST 2000:

>yep.
>
> except it wasn't exactly a comedy moment
> in fargo... :O)

Wasn't I meant to laugh? Oh bum.

As it goes, I'd quite like to see something serious about the architecture and design of the old concrete doughnut.

Incidentally, I take it you all know why it's (broadly) circular. It's so the rumours can get round quicker.

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]