Career Writers Posted Thu May 4 11:58:04 BST 2000 by Nunuf Urbuznuz

As a professional comedy writer, I must contest your attitude towards writing teams, the likes of whom do Smith & Jones et al. If (big if) YOU had a career in comedy, you would realise that before you can sell your TV series, you need to do an apprenticeship, get a foot on the ladder. Sketch shows are great for introducing new writers to other established writers and professionals. They enable the writer to write to order (thus balancing self-indulgence). And they are good fun to do, because the idea for a joke you get in the morning can be transformed into broadcastable material by lunchtime. I would urge you to check your old videotapes of Smith & Jones. In the writing credits, you might just find some names you recognise...

Subject: Re: Career Writers [ Previous Message ]
Posted By The Corpses on Thu May 4 12:14:16 BST 2000:

Where on the site have we argued otherwise?

Posted By Nunuf Urbuznuz on Mon May 8 12:15:27 BST 2000:

I just get the impression that you want your comedy to be perfect, without allowing anyone a decent chance. When I started doing stand-up, I was always told that one bad gig taught you more than a million good ones.

You'll have to tell me exactly what it is you write that's so good, and perhaps (from one professional to another) I'll be able to give you an opinion...

Nunuf

Posted By Anonymous on Mon May 8 12:39:43 BST 2000:

You're Kevin Day, aren't you?

Posted By Mogwai on Mon May 8 13:32:32 BST 2000:

So Nunuf's suggesting that the only people qualified to comment on whether or not a comedian is funny are other comedians? You've not been in the business long, have you?

Posted By Nunuf Urbuznuz on Tue May 9 11:59:34 BST 2000:

No, I'm not Kevin Day. And I've been in the business long enough to have a valid opinion. What do you do, Mogwai? And can I come round to where you work and bitch about the job you're doing?

Nunuf

Posted By Mogwai on Tue May 9 13:58:30 BST 2000:

>What do you do, Mogwai? And can I come round to where you work and bitch about the job you're doing?

What the fuck? Comedians are supposed to make an audience laugh, not just each other. If the audience doesn't find them funny then it's entitled to say so. If I was doing a bad job of work for someone else, they'd be fully within their rights to tell me so.

Posted By The Corpses on Tue May 9 14:26:09 BST 2000:

What and for whom have you written, Nunuf? (Not calling your bluff - genuinely interested.)

Posted By MM on Tue May 9 16:44:26 BST 2000:

I think that the answer will be the same the name, none of your business.

MM

Posted By Nunuf Urbuznuz on Wed May 10 10:55:33 BST 2000:

Au Contraire, I write for the radio.

[ Add Your Comment On This Subject ]
[ Add Your Comment Quoting Message ]